1. Admire the Great Barrier Reef: Credited for being the world’s largest coral reef, the Great Barrier Reef is a vision to behold. Extending to almost 350,000 square kilometers, exploring this gorgeous tropical reef is one of the best things to do in Cairns. With a rich ecosystem, you can observe numerous fish species, marine organisms, mollusks, and mesmerizing corals. Moreover, you can opt for scuba diving, snorkeling and swimming or visit the underwater observatory.
Location: Queensland, Australia
2. Hop onto the Kuranda Scenic Railway: With an impressive view of The Wet Tropics, one of the oldest rainforests on Earth, the Kuranda Scenic Railway is a must-have experience while visiting Cairns. The wide array of animals and plants that you will see aboard the train will provide unforgettable memories.
Location: Kuranda QLD 4881, Australia
Price: Heritage Class: AUD 76 per adult, AUD 38 per child
Gold Class upgrade: AUD 98 per adult, AUD 98 per child
Timings: Cairns to Kuranda – 8:30 am, 9:30 am
Kuranda to Cairns – 2 pm, 3:30 pm
3. Explore the Cairns Botanic Gardens: Opened to the public in 1886, the Cairns Botanic Gardens is one of the most diverse places in Australia. Here, you will find thousands of plant and animal species. Moreover, informative tours and leisurely walks along the trails will offer a mesmerizing glimpse of nature.
Location: 78-96 Collins Ave, Edge Hill QLD 4870, Australia
Timings: Monday to Friday – 8:30 am – 4 pm
Saturday and Sunday – 9:30 am – 2 pm
4. Visit the Barron Gorge National Park: One of the best Cairns things to do is to explore the Barron Gorge National Park. It is part of the highly popular Wet Tropics World Heritage Area and offers gorgeous visuals. Apart from dense rainforests, you will also see cascading waterfalls. Moreover, you must view Barron Falls, especially in the wet months, as the vision will leave you mesmerized.
Location: Wrights Lookout Rd, Kuranda QLD 4881, Australia
5. Relax at Palm Cove: Known for the numerous palm trees that line the gorgeous beach, the Palm Cove offers a relaxed atmosphere. Here, you can simply sit and rejuvenate while embracing the gentle breezes. You can take a tour of the Cairns Tropical Zoo and enjoy the exciting Hartley's Crocodile Adventures. Moreover, there are numerous cafes, restaurants, and spa resorts that you can visit.
Location: Queensland 4879, Australia
6. Opt for chopper tour over Cairns: One of the most exciting things to do in Cairns is to opt for a chopper ride over the district. You can observe the beautiful Great Barrier Reef, the mesmerizing Baron Falls, and the majestic Daintree Rainforest. Seeing them from the bird’s view will offer you memories that you are going to cherish for a lifetime.
Location: Depends on the operator
7. Hike the Daintree Rainforest: If you are interested in observing unspoiled natural beauty, then you must opt for visiting the Daintree Rainforest. Moreover, if you are an adventure fanatic, you can experience hiking through the dense green covers. Apart from the gorgeous collection of flora and fauna, you will also be awed by the coasts and waterfall views.
Location: 2333 Cape Tribulation Rd, Cape Tribulation QLD 4873, Australia
Price: AUD 28 per adults, AUD 14 per child, and AUD 68 per family (of four people)
Timings: 8:20 am – 5 pm
8. Swim at Green Island: One of the most enchanting islands that boast of fringing reefs in its sandy beach is the Green Island. With unique flora and fauna in the rainforest, the island has much to offer for different tourists. You can even swim in shallow waters with the resident turtles.
Location: Queensland, Australia
Also Book: Melbourne Museum Tickets