Activities to Do in Mcleodganj
Kareri River Trek, Camping, Triund Trek, Visit Namgyal Monastery, Go to Bhagsu Falls, Visit Tsug La Khang, Go to Bhagsu Falls, Indrahar Pass Trek, Head Out to Dal Lake and many more.
Located in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, there are a lot of things to do. Also known as Dhasa or Little Lhasa, McLeod Ganj got this name due to the huge Tibetan population residing here and in Dharamshala, McLeod Ganj is situated at an altitude of 6831 feet above the sea level and is located on the Dhauladhar Range of mountains. Aesthetically pleasing monasteries, stunning backdrops, vibrant cafes and thrilling adventure activities make McLeod a popular tourist destination.
There are a variety of treks that commence from or pass from McLeod. From visiting the local markets for shopping for exclusive McLeod handicrafts and jewellery to dining at its quaint and vibrant cafes and restaurants, exploring the umpteen numbers of monasteries in town to taking an exciting trek from here, there are plenty of activities to do in Mcleodganj to create an unforgettable memory.
Some of the popular treks which are the Indrahar Pass Trek, Bhagsu Trek, Kangra Valley Trek, Kareri River Trek and Guna Devi Temple Trek originate and/or pass via McLeod. The hill station is a melting pot of culture; vibrancy and nature where travellers get to explore a lot and take back cherished memories. McLeod Ganj is a place that will leave the travellers wanting for more and coming back for more. An experience that's wholesomely enriching, Little Lhasa awaits the enthusiastic traveller!
Here are some of the best things to do in Mcleodganj:
1. Trek to Triund:
One of the most important things to do in Mcleodganj is Trekking. Just behind the Dhauladhar range stands tall Triund, a 9000 Ft range. The 9 KM trek trail on this mountain is a breathtaking experience. After the tiring expedition you can also plan an overnight stay at the Forest Rest House on top of the ridge.
The spellbinding panorama of the Kangra valley from the Triund peak is captivating. If you wish to lie in the arms of the wilderness and gaze at the infinite sky and sparkling stars, then camping here is also an awesome option. The manoeuvring boulevard through the rhododendron and oak trees will rejuvenate all your senses.
2. Kareri River Trek:The Kareri Lake is formed by the flow of melted waters from the Mankiani Peak. A glacial river located high between the ranges of Dhauladhar; it is a trek that takes you through lush subtropical forests and alpine grasslands. The subtropical forests are filled with Chir Pine and Chilgoza Pines. The forest trek in the latter half consists of rocky grasslands along the Nyund Nullah.
The Kareri River trek cuts through gushing freshwater streams and passes through verdant meadows and orchards. The subtropical forests are home to several Himalayan birds and animals. On the trek, trekkers will also encounter shepherd villages, cattle grazing farms and a Lord Shiva temple.
3. Camping in Mcleodganj:McLeod Ganj is a serene hill station nestled in upper Dharamshala; it is home to some of the most spell-binding landscapes in Himachal Pradesh. The reason why McLeod Ganj or McLeod successfully magnetizes tourists each year is for trekking and camping in the Dhauladhar Mountains and surrounding valleys and regions. Camping in McLeod Ganj is like a vacation amidst lush green nature with serene beauty all around.
Camps offer a retreat away from the cacophony of city life and allow the traveler to soak in peace. You are surrounded by mellow sounds of whispering winds and chirping sounds of birds. Camps in McLeod Ganj also offer magnificent views of the Himalayan peaks.
Check Out: Best Homestays in Mcleodganj for a comfortable stay
4. Pray at Nechung Monastery:
The Nechung Monastery, a Buddhist monastery plays a historical role as it was the seat of the Tibetan State Oracle until 1959. It is located downhill from the Drepung Monastery. Nechung is an eerie place associated with possession, exorcism and other pre-Buddhist rites.
The monastery has a few strange, striking and imaginative murals lining the walls of the inner courtyard. Paintings of flayed humans held from the rafters by serpents, figures with dangling eyeballs, disembodied heads and legs, wrathful deities with garlands of skulls, and other artwork decorate the walls here.
5. Bhagsu Trek:
The Bhagsu trek, which is a trek to the Bhagsu Waterfalls commences from McLeod Ganj and covers a distance of approximately 12 kilometers. The elevation being 2400 meters, it is a moderate trek best recommended for beginners.
The Bhagsu Waterfalls are located close to the Bhagsunath Temple. These waterfalls are one of the most stunning streams that cascade down around 30 feet during the monsoon season. The Bhagsu trek is one of the best things to do in McLeod Ganj.
6. The Kangra Valley Trek:
The Kangra Valley Trek is a trek that opens the world of phenomenal views of the Dhauladhar Range to the travellers. The trek and trail delight trekkers with visit to old temples, scenic lakes, & unexplored Hindu towns en route in the middle of verdant and snow-laden valleys.
The trek begins from McLeod Ganj and passes through the Kareri Lake and Kareri Village. Trekkers trek on the trail that passes through woody woodlands and steep slopes, which aren't too arduous to climb. The Kangra Valley Trek is quite a popular one and is also one of the best things to do in Mcleod Ganj.
7. Visit Tsug La Khang:Popular for being the sanctuary of The Dalai Lama, the Tsug la Khang is the core essence of Mcleodganj. It comprises the Namgyal Monastery and also several shrine rooms in its compound. There are statues of Buddha, Chenrezig and Guru Rinpoche in these shrines.
If you are an art lover then you should surely go there and admire this splendid artwork. The Dalai Lama’s dwelling and administrative offices are adjoining to the monastery. Ling Khor, is a meditation trail close to Tsug La Khang, you will come across small shrines,
8. Explore Namgyal Monastery:
The Namgyal Monastery is well known for being the biggest Tibetan sanctuary outside Tibet and also the residence of the Dalai Lama. It was established in 16th century and since then it serves to preserve the Tibetan culture and customs.
It enlightens the monks who reside here by imparting knowledge based on philosophy, sacred arts, meditation and debates. This Monastery is bestowed with a pristine atmosphere, making it an ideal place to attain peace. It also showcases splendid statues of Buddha, which are highly admirable.
9. Go to Bhagsu Falls:Being in closed vicinity of the popular Bhagsunath Temple of Lord Shiva, this waterfall is known as the Bhagsu Falls. Spending a day here is one of the most exhilarating things to do in Mcleodganj. It is not only famous as a picnic spot but is also a significant place of pilgrimage.
The sight of this 20 M tall waterfall is like a heaven on earth during monsoons. One can also cherish the delicious food served in the cafeteria near the falls. If you wish to add on to the excitement of this excursion, then you have a choice of trekking to these falls through the beautiful vistas.
10. Take a Boat Ride in the Dal Lake:
A boat ride in the Dal Lake amidst the striking green Deodar Forests is one of the unique things to do in Mcleodganj. Brimming with tranquilizer vibes floating over the calm waters, this boat ride is something you cannot miss out in Dal lake.