1. Enjoy bird watching at Karnala Bird Sanctuary: Visiting this lush haven of a place is amongst the best activities in Raigad that you should experience. The sanctuary houses over 200 species of exotic and native birds like Magpie, Robin, Blue Capped Rock Thrush, Red Whiskered Bulbul, etc.
Don’t miss to see varieties of butterflies and reptiles here. The sanctuary has trekking trails that give onto beautiful views of the Patalganga River and the Western Ghats in the background.
Location: NH 66, Karnala, Maharashtra.
Price: Rs. 25 per person.
Timings: Every day from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
2. Try the Raigad ropeway: Imagine cruising high up in the sky amidst as you get a bird’s eye view of the mighty Western Ghats and acres of lush greenery. This ropeway ride connecting to the Raigad Fort adds on a lot of excitement for a fun day out in the sun is one of the best things to do in Raigad.
You will cruise up to an altitude of around 2300 ft. in 4 minutes and will be treated to an interesting documentary about the fort before your ride. Experienced guides accompany travellers to fill up on information and intriguing facts about the region and the fort.
Location: Raigad Fort, Mahad, Maharashtra.
Price: Per adult: Rs. 200, Per child & senior citizen: Rs. 130.
Timings: Every day from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
3. Spend a day at the beautiful Gangasagar Lake: One of the best things to do in Raigad is to spend a relaxed day at the banks of this scenic lake. This is a great place to savour the warm sunshine surrounded by the cool breeze as you enjoy a picnic.
The legend goes that this lake was filled with holy water from the Ganges River for Shivaji’s family. The promenade of the lake looks on the majestic Raigad Fort, the Queen’s chambers, and a watchtower framed amidst the Western Ghats in the distance.
Location: Pachad, Raigad District, Maharashtra.
4. See the ancient temples: For travellers looking for serenity amidst the magnificence of ancient architecture must visit the temples in Raigad. The district has several ancient temples like the iconic Jagadishwar Temple built in the Mughal style of architecture
17th-century Varadvinayak Temple, the Ballaleshwar Temple that’s one of the eight Ashtavinayak Temples of Lord Ganesha, and the seaside Harihareshwar Temple that was built by the Peshwas in the 16th-century to worship Lord Shiva.
Location: Jagadishwar Temple (Gherkilla), Varadvinayak Temple (Mahad), Ballaleshwar Temple (Pali Village), and Harihareshwar Temple (Shrivardhan).
Timings: Every day from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm.
5. Try the delicious Maharashtra cuisine: Raigad is quite popular for offering a huge variety of delectable Maharashtrian cuisine. There are several great restaurants that offer seafood like prawns fry, fish, chicken, etc. delicious coconut-based gravies. Trying mouth-watering snacks like Poha, Thalipeeth, Misal Pav, Vada Pav, Bun Maska, etc is one of the best things to do in Raigad.
Location: Shree Datta Snacks, Sarja Restaurant, Himgauri Garden and Restaurant Bar.
Price: A meal for two would approximately cost around Rs. 600-800.
Timings: The restaurants are generally open from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.