1. Explore Colosseum: A trip to the Colosseum in Rome is an absolute top thing to do in Rome for anyone who loves history and wants to explore some of the most iconic ancient ruins! This gigantic structure was once used for gladiator battles and public executions, and now stands as a reminder of the power of the Roman Empire. When you walk through the Colosseum, it's like travelling back in time. You can almost picture the spectators cheering as the gladiators battle to the death. It's one of the most unforgettable things to do in Rome.
2. Discover Vatican Museums: The Vatican Museums are a collection of some of the world's most important art and historical artefacts making it one of the best things to do in Rome. The Vatican Museums boast such a large and diverse collection that there is definitely something for everyone! For example, history buffs can explore the excavations of Nero's Domus Aurea and the Etruscan artefacts in the Gregorian Etruscan Museum. Those who prefer Renaissance art can marvel at breath-taking works by artists such as Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, MichelangeloBuonarroti and Caravaggio. Or, for fans of modern art, there are pieces by major twentieth-century artists such as De Chirico, Dali', Mirò and Mondrian.
3. Visit Roman Forum: The Roman Forum contains some of Rome's most awe-inspiring ruins, such as the Temple of Jupiter, the Via Sacra and the Rostra. These ancient structures are very well-preserved and offer an insightful look into Rome's history. Trip to the Roman Forum is one of the best things to do in Rome and an excellent way to learn more about Rome's history and culture. There are many ancient relics and pieces of art at the site, and informative displays that explain the importance of these artefacts. Also, the Roman Forum is located in the heart of Rome, surrounded by some of the city’s most iconic landmarks. This makes it a great place to simply wander around and enjoy the sights and sounds of one of Europe’s most vibrant cities.
4. Explore Palatine Hill: Palatine Hill is a hill located in Rome, Italy. It is one of the Seven Hills of Rome and is the site of the ancient city of Rome. Palatine Hill remained significant in Roman life as time went on. Many renowned Romans, such as Julius Caesar and Augustus, constructed their residences on Palatine Hill. Later on, it became the home of some of Rome’s most wealthy families. At present, Palatine Hill is one of the most sought-after tourist attractions and best things to do in Rome. People can tour ruins from different eras of Roman history, like ancient and mediaeval times.
5. Admire St. Peter’s Basilica: A trip to St. Peter's Basilica is an essential part of any visit to Rome. Even if you're not religious, the church's size and beauty are breathtaking and something that you have to see to believe, making it one of the top things to do in Rome. St. Peter's is not only the biggest church in the world, but it is also a highly revered Catholic pilgrimage site. It was constructed on the spot where St. Peter, the first Pope, was crucified and buried. The basilica is an architectural wonder with a grand central dome that towered over everything else in Rome. The interior is just as breathtaking with its opulent gold decorations, marble sculptures, and hundreds of years of history surrounding you.
6. Take a Trastevere Neighbourhood Walk: If you're searching for an excellent way to spend a day and things to do in Rome, take a stroll through the gorgeous neighbourhood of Trastevere! This picturesque neighbourhood is lined with lovely streets, charming stores, and delightful restaurants. Begin your journey in Trastevere by taking a leisurely walk past traditional Roman trattorias and osterias, admiring the mediaeval architecture, and popping into picturesque Churches along the route. Many of Rome’s most beloved attractions are located in this bohemian neighbourhood.
7. Checkout Borghese Palace & Villa Borghese: Borghese Palace & Villa Borghese are a must-see for anyone visiting Rome. Borghese Palace is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Rome, and for good reason – it is home to an incredible art collection, as well as stunning gardens that are perfect for a summer stroll. Villa Borghese is the largest public park in Rome, and it's a stunning oasis in the midst of the city. If you're interested in art, history, or just want to spend time in a stunning park, Borghese Palace & Villa Borghese are definitely one of the worth checking out things to do in Rome.
8. Visit Roman Catacombs: The Roman Catacombs are a large system of tunnels and burial chambers located in Rome. They were used mainly for Christian burials, but were later abandoned and fell into disrepair. In the 18th century, they were rediscovered and have since become a popular tourist destination. Strolling through these ancient burial chambers is like taking a step back in time. In addition, it's one of the best things to do in Rome to get away from the hustle and bustle of Rome's busy streets.
9. Admire the beautiful Trevi Fountain: The Trevi Fountain is one of the must things to do in Rome for any visitor to Rome. Flowing with fresh water from the Aqua Virgo aqueduct, this monumental fountain is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The Trevi Fountain, designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and the main figure in the fountain is Neptune, God of the Sea, with other statues and sculptures representing the different seasons and tides surrounding him. The Trevi Fountain is a truly stunning sight at night making it the best thing to do in Rome, when it is illuminated by hundreds of lights
10. Checkout Spanish Steps: The Spanish Steps are one of Rome's most renowned landmarks and top things to do in Rome - and for good reason. The grand staircase is an incredible sight. The steps were constructed in the early 1700s to link the Spanish Church of Trinita dei Monti and the French church of Santissima Trinita dei Pellegrini. They were designed by Italian architect Francesco de Sanctis, and the steps are popular with both tourists and locals today. They're an excellent place for people to watch, enjoy the sun, and take in Rome's stunning views. If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of a celebrity or two! In other words, if you're in search of things to do in Rome, make sure to add the Spanish Steps to your travel plans.
You Must Checkout: Italy Greece Tour Package From India