Maharashtra Water SportsScuba diving, rappelling, snorkelling, kayaking and jet skiing are just some of the water sports in Maharashtra that you can experience when you are travelling in the state. The massive coastal border that exists in Maharashtra gives this place an advantage when it comes to water sports. Several coastal towns such as Kolad, Mumbai, Goa and Tarkali have stunning beaches where you can stroll, explore and indulge in unique and life-changing adventures on the water. The clear and calm waters of the Arabian Ocean and the local food and culture of Maharashtra make for the perfect ambience where you can enjoy thrilling water sports.
While Maharashtra is a great place for expert adventurers to fulfil their fantasies, those with little or no expertise can also enjoy Maharashtra water sports. Snorkelling, banana boat rides, jet-skiing, parasailing, paddle boarding and wind sailing are some of the many activities that people of all ages and expertise can indulge in. Even if you want to try your hand at some of the advanced sports like white water rafting or wakeboarding, you can avail the services of trained professionals who guide you before the actual activity, for a seamless experience.
People Also Ask About Water Sports in Maharashtra
Which are the best water sports to do in Maharashtra?
1. Jet Skiing: Maharashtra has a massive coastal border which makes it ideal for exciting water sports such as jet skiing. You can hire a jet ski and cruise over the pleasant waters of the Arabian Sea, making for a memorable adventure when you are in the state.
The activity comes with a trained guide who will teach you how to operate the vehicle, and how to navigate your way on the water. One of the most popular places where you can indulge in jet skiing is in Mandwa, which you can reach via ferry from Mumbai
Timing: The activity lasts for 10 minutes on an average
Price: INR 250 per person
2. Banana Boat Ride: One of the best water sports in Maharashtra that can be enjoyed by the whole family includes banana boat rides. The activity includes a trip on a narrow river or on open waters on an inflatable boat that can carry up to 6 people.
The boat is tethered to the shore and is guided by a professional for a fun, safe and hassle-free experience. Banana boat rides are very popular on the Kundalika River in Kolad.
Timing: Monday to Sunday (10 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
Price: INR 600 per person
3. Paddleboarding: If you are in search of easy but exciting water sports in Maharashtra that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, you can check out paddleboarding in places like Mandwa.
The waters of the Mandwa beach are very calm and peaceful, which allows you to stand upright on a board and paddle your way through the waters of the ocean. You are provided with a guide who trains you before the activity, all the equipment, safety measures and anything you may need for a seamless experience.
Timing: Monday to Sunday (11:00 a.m. onwards)
Price: INR 1,200 per person
4. Wakeboarding: For thrill-seekers and adventure lovers, must-try water sports in Maharashtra include wakeboarding which consists of the participant tethered to a speed boat or jet ski via a strong rope, which speeds through the water, taking them along the surface of the water.
The feet are planted in the water, while the participant has to navigate with their hands. This requires a little bit of expertise, but a guide and trainer are provided before the activity so that you can enjoy yourself to the maximum. One of the best places where you can try your hand at wakeboarding is Alibaug Beach.
Timing: Monday to Sunday (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Price: INR 750 per person
5. Windsurfing: For relaxing and unique water sports in Maharashtra, you must try your hand at windsurfing. It is a peaceful activity where you can sail through the waters of the Arabian Sea on a small boat, big enough to fit one person and driven by the power of the wind that catches in the sail.
If you have never gone wind-surfing before, there’s no need to worry, since you will be provided with a guide who will train you before the activity. For two hours, you can experience the magical beauty of nature while floating through the peaceful waters of places like Pune, Juhu and Mandwa.
Timing: Monday to Sunday (10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Price: INR 8,500 per person for 2 hours
6. Scuba diving: Scuba diving is one of the most sought-after water sports in Maharashtra and in fact, all over the country. Luckily, there are a few wonderful places within Maharashtra where you can experience this magical adventure.
Tarkarli is one such place, where the sea contains a number of exotic coral reefs and marine creatures that you can see up close when you go scuba diving on this quaint beach.
Timing: Monday to Sunday (7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Price: INR 1,275 per person
7. Parasailing: Undoubtedly, one of the best water sports in Maharashtra is parasailing over the beautiful waters of the Arabian Sea. The calm, coastal waters of Maharashtra are ideal for parasailing, which consists of participants being tethered to a parachute that is attached to a jet ski.
While the jet ski speeds on the surface of the water, the parachute, along with you, glides over the water in the air, offering panoramic views of coastal Maharashtra. One of the best places to try your hand at parasailing is in Goa, on the Mobor Beach and Calangute Beach
Timings: Monday to Sunday (11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
Price: INR 700 per person
8. Kayaking: Amongst one of the best family-friendly water sports in Maharashtra is kayaking. Places like Mandwa Beach, Kundalika River, Kolad and Mahabaleshwar offer this activity. In fact, Maharashtra is full of freshwater rivers on which you can go kayaking with your loved ones.
It is a group activity that can be enjoyed by experts and beginners alike. The pace of the activity also allows you to take in the natural landscape of Maharashtra from a unique perspective.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Price: starting from INR 350
9. River rafting: For adrenaline pumping Maharashtra water sports, you must check out river rafting, which consists of an inflatable raft on high-speed waters that you have to navigate along with a group of other people.
This is a more active version of kayaking, where you are usually required to go downriver, along with the rushing current of the river on which you are rafting. It is an activity that can be enjoyed in places like Karjat and Kundalika River.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Price: INR 2,500
10. Snorkelling: Snorkelling, or shallow-water diving, is amongst some of the most peaceful and enjoyable Maharashtra water sports, where you can swim through the clear waters of the Arabian Sea and check our colourful corals, schools of fish and other exotic sea creatures.
There are some beautiful places where you can go snorkelling such as in Pune, Tarkarli, Goa and Malvan, all of which are coastal areas in Maharashtra with well-maintained beaches that are ideal for snorkelling.
Timings: Monday to Sunday (7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Price: INR 1,100 per person
Which are the best places for water sports in Maharashtra?
1. Goa: Goa is a coastal hotspot that offers some of the best Maharashtra water sports to visitors who travel from all over the world to take part in the many adventures. The beaches of Goa are fully equipped to cater to different kinds of water sports, whether it is underwater like scuba diving, or over the water like parasailing.
Several spots in Goa such as Calangute Beach, Grande Island and Palolem Beach offer different kinds of sports for you to try. In fact, it is one of the only places in Maharashtra where you can enjoy all kinds of water sports imaginable, whether it is a niche activity like white water rafting or something fun and accessible like banana boat rides.
Famous water sports to do: Parasailing, jet skiing, river rafting, scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking, swimming, wind sailing, angling, etc.
2. Tarkarli: Tarkarli is a less-frequented, but an extremely beautiful coastal town in Maharashtra where you can enjoy a number of exciting water sports with your loved ones. The beautiful beach offers the perfect opportunity to explore the waters of the Arabian Sea in various exciting ways.
While Tarkali is primarily known for parasailing and scuba diving, you can enjoy a number of other activities on the water as well. While you are at it, don’t forget to try the delicious local coastal cuisine and explore all the hidden beaches that this place has to offer.
Famous water sports to do: Scuba diving, snorkelling, parasailing, water scooter, kayaking, bumper rides, jet skiing, etc.
3. Kolad: Kolad is the most accessible town from where you can enjoy sports on the beautiful Kundalika River. This is one of the main rivers in the state, whose source lies in the Sahyadri Ranges and drains into the Arabian Sea. The best water sports that you can enjoy when you are in Kolad is undoubtedly white water rafting on the freshwater of the Kundalika River.
It is a group activity that you can enjoy on a particular section of the river. However, if you are looking for something more peaceful, you can also try kayaking and scuba diving.
Famous water sports to do: White water rafting, kayaking, swimming, scuba diving, rappelling, banana boat rides, jet-skiing, etc.
4. Alibaug: Located at a short distance from Mumbai, Alibaug is a perfect getaway for people who want to indulge in water sports for a fun weekend. The beaches in Alibaug are perfect for activities such as jet skiing and parasailing.
You can also get access to private beaches where you can go wind-sailing for hours on end. Apart from this, there are other exciting water sports you can enjoy on the beach for a magical weekend.
Famous water sports to do: Jet skiing, kayaking, parasailing, wind sailing, banana boat ride, speed boating, scuba diving, kite surfing, paddle boarding, etc.
5. Ganapatipule: Located in Ratnagiri, this quaint coastal town is the perfect blend of beaches and mountains that create the opportunity for innumerable adventures for a memorable holiday.
The most popular water sport here is motorboating, where you can hire a motorboat and cruise over the water of the Arabian Sea. You can also indulge in a number of other exciting activities in this well-known tourist town.
Famous water sports to do: Motorboating, jet skiing, parasailing, kayaking, scuba diving, etc.
Which are the best places to do scuba diving in Maharashtra?
1. Tarkarli: The clear waters of Tarkarli are ideal for scuba diving amongst the colourful fish and corals and experience the majestic underwater world of the Arabian Sea.
2. Malvan: Malvan, near Sindhudurg Fort, is a wonderful place where you can explore the versatile marine life that thrives in the area. Scuba diving and snorkelling, both are popular activities that are conducted here.
3. Vengurla Rocks: Located on the Goa border, this is one of the more unconventional places where you can experience deep-sea diving in Maharashtra. Certified instructors help you navigate the waters and ace the activity.
4. Devbaug: Devbaug is a wonderful coastal town where you can not only indulge in rewarding sessions of scuba diving but also experience unique activities like dolphin spotting, parasailing, etc.
5. Dandeshwar: Dandeshwar is one of the only places in India where you can go scuba diving at night. Located near Malvan, you can go scuba diving here at all times of the day and explore the ocean like never before.
Which are the best places to do river rafting in Maharashtra?
1. Nashik: The Vaitarna River that flows through Nasik is ideal for white water rafting, where you can sail through the tropical landscape and catch incredible views as you float downstream.
2. Karjat: Karjat is a famous place known for water sports such as white water rafting amongst the hills. The Ulhas River is the perfect destination for adventure-lovers to try their hand at this sport.
3. Sindhudurg: The undulating landscape of Sindhudurg and the coastal beaches of Malvan make for the ideal conditions for white water rafting, as well as other sports such as scuba diving and jet skiing.
4. Kolad: Perhaps the most famous place where you can go river rafting is in Kolad, on the Kundalika River that starts from the Sahyadri Ranges. You can choose from various packages and avail the service of trained professionals to help guide you.
5. Vaitarna River: The Vaitarna River flows through various places in Maharashtra from where you can go river rafting. It is a perennial river that ensures you can enjoy the activity throughout the year.
Is Maharashtra worth visiting for water sports?
Yes, Maharashtra is one of the best places you can visit for water sports in India. A large part of the border of the state is located along the Arabian Sea, leading to the formation of multiple beaches and coastal towns where you can indulge in water sports like parasailing, scuba diving, jet-skiing, rappelling, kayaking, river rafting and much more.
Shinde Wadi hills is famous among the Kamshet attractions as one of the best paragliding spots. However, it is also known for its ravishing sunrise and sunset view. One should surely visit this place early in the morning to get a look at the enthralling sunrise providing you with peace. Traverse along with the bounties of Shinde wadi hills as the greenery and refreshing cool winds will make you fall in love with this spot. Places to visit in Kamshet are numerous yet this place will never disappoint you in any way. Spotted at a height of 200 feet, the hills will enchant you with the best experience of paragliding. Location: 2 kilometers from KamshetBest Time: February-May and October-December
Cave exploration in Kamshet is incomplete without visiting the Buddhist Bedse Caves, which are said to be built in the first century. Like most caves, these also have a dark, damp, and mystic allure about them. As you enter, you will see a temple with ancient carvings of elephants, horses, etc. on the walls. A beautifully carved ceiling and pillars arch the monastery inside, which is a must-see. This is one of the best places to visit in Kamshet to spend time meditating or simply being with oneself in the silent & serene environs of the caves. Location: 10 kilometres from Kamshet.Best time: Monsoons months of June-September.