1. Lonavala: One of the most popular places for a quick weekend getaway from Mumbai is Lonavala. With its lush greenery and cascading waterfalls, Lonavala welcomes its guests from not only Mumbai but also from all over the world.
Tourists visiting the town love to go sightseeing visiting Lonavala Lake, Tiger’s Leap, Bhaja Caves, Amrutanjan Point, etc. Those looking for adventures can go for trekking trips to Duke’s Nose, Foregad Fort, Rajmachi and Kondane Caves etc.
Best Time To Visit: October to May
How To Reach: Lonavala is well connected by road, train and air. Nearest railway station is Lonavala railway station and nearest airport is Pune airport, which is 71kms from Lonavala
2. Khandala: Khandala mesmerises its tourists with its natural beauty of magnificent peaks, crystal clear lake and mysterious caves. The beautiful hill station has gained its popularity owing to being a favourite shooting location of Bollywood. Tourists love the panoramic view of the place from its various viewpoints. The Buddhist caves at Karla attracts lots of tourists being the prelude to the Ajanta and Ellora caves. Other places of visiting are Kune Waterfalls, Visapur Fort, Lohagad Fort etc. Being a hill station, Khandala has several trekking, hiking options on offer for tourists.
Best Time To Visit: October to May
How To Reach: Khandala is situated 66kms from Pune, the city with the nearest airport. Nearest railway station, Lonavala railway station, connects the hill station with all other cities.
3. Mahabaleshwar: The romantic hill station of Mahabaleshwar is located in the forested Western Ghat range. Nestled in the Sahyadri Mountain ranges, Mahabaleshwar is much to offer to its tourists. Be it going sightseeing to visit Mahabaleshwar Temple, Lingamala Falls, Morarji Castle, etc or to indulge in activities such as trekking, rock climbing, mountain biking, horse riding etc., tourists enjoy their visit to the fullest.
Early morning in this hill station starts with the breathtaking sunrise which can be best viewed from Wilson Point.
Best Time To Visit: March to June
How To Reach: Mahabaleshwar is connected by air through the nearest Pune airport located just 120 kilometers away. Wathar, the nearest railway station, is located 60 kilometers away. There are also buses available from Mumbai which takes 5 to 6 hours to reach.
4. Panchgani: Panchgani, which means the land of five hills, is a volcanic plateau surrounded by 5 hills. The beautiful hill station has much of beauty to offer its tourists in forms of majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, lush green forests and tranquil valleys. Tourists visiting Panchgani go sightseeing to visit its numerous falls such as Lingmala Falls, Bhilar Waterfalls, etc.
There are several viewpoints offering panoramic views of the surroundings such as Kate’s Point, Sydney Point, and Elephant’s Head Point. For tourists not content with only sightseeing, there are options of hiking, trekking or cycling.
Best Time To Visit: September to May
How To Reach: Panchgani is connected to other cities through the nearest Jarandeshwar railway station and Pune Airport which is 100 kms away from this town.
5. Matheran: The smallest hill station in India treats its guests with captivating sceneries of lush green forests and magnificent mountain peaks. Tourists especially enjoy the sunrise or sunset in this hill station from one of its viewpoints such as One Tree Hill Point, Panorama Point, Alexander Point, and so on. Some of the places to visit in Matheran include Prabal Fort, Charlotte Lake, and Honeymoon Hill.
Best Time To Visit: November to June
How To Reach: Best way to reach Matheran is to enjoy a toy train ride from Neral and travel through the zigzag ride trails and reach Matheran in two hours.A drive from Neral, the nearest railway station, takes only 30 minutes.
6. Tadoba: Tourists who love spotting wildlife would not want to miss the Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve situated in Tadoba. The lush green dense forest, beautiful lakes and the gorgeous river Andhari adds to the natural beauty of this place.
Some of the places to visit in Tadoba are Erai Dam, Kolsa Lake, Junoria and Tadoba Lake. Tiger Safari is a must-do activity for tourists visiting this place and some other popular activities to do in Tadoba include trekking, hiking and birdwatching.
Best Time To Visit: April-May
How To Reach: Tadoba is located about 59kms from Chandrapur, the nearest railway station which is well connected with other cities. The nearest airport to Tadoba is Nagpur.
7. Alibaug: The coastal town of Aligaug is known for housing some of the best beaches of Maharashtra such as Alibag beach, Nagaon beach, Mandwa beach, Akshi beach and Varsoli beach. The town also has several sightseeing options such as the 17th century old Kolaba Fort, the portugese Korlai Fort, Kanakeshwar Forest, etc. Alibaug also offers its tourists several activities such as camping, trekking, watersports such as banana boat ride, jet ski etc.
Best Time To Visit: October to February
How To Reach: The nearest railway station of Alibaug is Roha railway station and nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. By road, Alibaug can be reached from Mumbai within two hours.
8. Ratnagiri: The port town of Ratnagiri offers its tourists various options in the form of beaches, monuments and temples. Tourists holidaying in Ratnagiri feel excited exploring Ratnadurg and visiting the Thibaw Palace. Some tourists also like to go for a hiking trip to Kadelot Point from where one can relish upon some of the most scenic panoramas of the surroundings.
Best Time To Visit: October to April
How To Reach: Ratnagiri is well connected by flights till Mumbai, train till Bhoke railway station , and by road from Goa, Mumbai and Pune.
9. Harihareshwar: Harihareshwar is one of the popular coastal towns of Maharashtra surrounded by four hills and the Arabian Sea. The town has a serene atmosphere which has been enhanced by the river Savitri that flows through it. The beach makes a perfect spot for spending some fun time with family. The famous Kalbhairav Temple adds to the attraction of the place.
Best Time To Visit: October to March
How To Reach: The town is connected by road with Mangaon railway station and Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
10. Malvan: Malvan welcomes its tourists with its numerous beautiful beaches, ancient forts and temples. The town is also well known for the various water sports that its beaches have on offer. Scuba Diving at Malvan Beach is well known and so is snorkelling at Tarkarli and boating in Karli. Those less adventurous can opt for a dolphin safari in Tsunami Island or can opt for a visit to the famous Sindhudurg Fort.
Best Time To Visit: End of October to mid-May
How To Reach: Malvan can be best reached by road from Pune. The nearest airport is Dabolim Airport and the nearest railway station is Kundal.